The World Science Festival (WSF) is an innovative multi-media organization that produces original live and digital content straddling the arenas of science, technology, the arts, media, performance, journalism and education. With the goal of radically transforming public perceptions of science, World Science creates world-class programming, featuring inspired collaborations, outstanding talent and innovative production techniques that bring scientific discovery, insight and perspective to a broad general audience.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (COO), the Director of Finance is responsible for the financial management of a growing non-profit media and event organization. Responsibilities include direct oversight of budget and financial operations, planning, and analysis. The Director of Finance is expected to foster a success-oriented, accountable environment – upgrading, maximizing and strengthening the internal capacity of a fast-paced, well-respected, high-impact non-profit organization.
- Manage, plan and lead the financial operations of WSF, including: financial modeling and planning, budgeting and analysis, and accounting functions to support WSF’s ongoing businesses, new initiatives, and capital investments.
- Create, analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements to management; prepare financial reporting materials and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting for donors.
- Manage and coordinate the annual audit process, liaising with external auditors, executive management and the board of directors.
- Own grant process: budget and narrative creation, financial reporting, variance analysis, and due diligence request.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning processes; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes and keep the senior management team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Assure timely reporting and compliance with generally accepted accounting standards, IRS regulations, and best business practices; assure accuracy and timely filing of tax returns, 990s and charitable organization forms.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Update and implement all necessary business and accounting policies and practices; improve the finance department’s overall policies and procedures, and review and oversee internal and external communications regarding the organization’s financial and organizational profile, including non-profit platforms such as Charity Navigator.
- Ensure all financial systems needs and requirements are met and well communicated, and that business processes and requirements are closely aligned with staff requirements and strategic initiatives, policies, goals and objectives.
- Partner with the Development Department to ensure proper grant tracking, management, forecasting, and accounting.
- Establish and monitor WSF’s investment strategies and policies in accordance with the objectives set by the senior leadership team and the board of directors.
- Support senior management by providing information, analysis, and due diligence required to make timely business decisions.
- Perform ad hoc projects as needed to support the WSF mission.
The Successful Candidate:
The Finance Director will be entrusted with highly sensitive financial information and must be able to perform with a high level of professional discretion and demeanor. The successful candidate will exhibit the following:
- Minimum 5 years of financial experience. Bachelor’s Degree required. CPA preferred.
- Nonprofit experience required.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Financial modeling skills.
- Ability to anticipate, identify and resolve complex financial issues.
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to clearly link financial results to operation performance drivers, generate alternatives and drive positive change.
- Experience managing projects.
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills and ability to work cross functionally.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, perform in a fast-paced environment & respond quickly to situational needs as they arise.
- Proficient use of financial systems and analysis tools including Microsoft Office and QuickBooks.
About World Science:
World Science produces original live and digital content that brings scientific discovery, insight and perspective to a broad general audience.
Our flagship live event, World Science Festival, is an unprecedented annual tribute to imagination, ingenuity and inventiveness. Our digital programming delivers content to a global audience of science enthusiasts and critical thinkers. Through programming that spans a broad range—from vibrant discussions and debates to works of theatre and film—world-class scientists, leading thinkers, and renowned artists take science out of the laboratory and into the streets, theaters, museums, and public halls of New York City, making the esoteric understandable and the familiar fascinating. The week-long New York Festival has drawn more than 2.5 million visitors since its launch in 2008, with millions more viewing the programs online.
World Science live events and theatrical productions tour nationally and internationally. In March 2016, World Science launched the World Science Festival Brisbane, bringing its distinctive programming to new audiences and establishing the first annual Festival outside of New York.
World Science U is our online education initiative, where students and lifelong learners can dive more deeply through artfully produced digital education content presented by world-renowned scientists.
The World Science Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, doing business as the World Science Festival and is headquartered in New York City.
Salary Range: $140,000 – $160,000
How to Apply:
Please email resume with a cover letter and salary requirements to email@example.com with “Director of Finance” in the subject line.
No phone calls please.
The World Science Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, conviction history, predisposing genetic characteristics, status as a victim of domestic violence, marital status or other protected class in compliance with applicable law.