World Science Festival is an innovative multi-media organization that produces original live, broadcast and digital content straddling the arenas of science, art, media, performance, journalism and education.
With the goal of radically transforming public perceptions of science, the Senior Editorial Producer will play a leading role in the creation of world-class programming, featuring high-level experts, outstanding creative talent, inspired collaborations and innovative production techniques to bring scientific discovery, insight and perspective to a broad general audience.
The Senior Editorial Producer will have primary responsibility for driving editorial planning and shaping of World Science programming by identifying the most compelling stories and scientific developments and by securing strong, high-level participants. He/she will manage and oversee all participant outreach and booking for all platforms and events including the flagship World Science Festival in New York; World Science Festival in Brisbane, Australia; year-round live programming in NYC and around the world; and broadcast and digital productions.
The Senior Editorial Producer is a NY-based position.
- Cultivate, book and maintain relationships with world-renowned scientific leaders including Nobel Laureates and groundbreaking researchers, as well as luminaries from academia, the arts and other disciplines represented in WSF programming. Target bookings are wide-ranging: from scientists, educators, authors, political and governmental officials, media and business leaders to award-winning composers, directors, and internationally acclaimed performing artists in television, film and stage.
- Research, report, conceptualize and structure provocative, multimedia program concepts with clarity and editorial sophistication.
- Collaborate with media department to create visuals, short form pieces and other media elements for live programs.
- Conduct pre-interviews and prepare background information, research and editorial outline for moderators.
- Work closely with marketing and PR departments to promote WSF programs.
- Stay abreast of science news by carefully following current events, breakthrough research, key players, and cutting edge issues related to science.
- Ensure that diverse voices, ideas and perspectives are reflected in the programming subject matter, participants and moderators.
- Manage and direct all participant booking across all platforms, including oversight, guidance and management of participant bookings in partner Festivals.
- Hire, train, mentor and supervise staff and freelance producers, AP’s and PA’s.
The Successful Candidate:
- Must be a creative, energetic and experienced producer with proven editorial chops including strong research, reporting, booking and story development skills.
- Must have extensive contacts across multiple disciplines and fields as well as a proven ability to establish and maintain new relationships with experts and sources.
- Must have extensive editorial and booking experience in non-fiction, informational programming at a major media or journalistic organization, preferably in broadcast, radio, podcasts or high-level, thought-leadership events. Experience in science journalism a plus.
- Must be an excellent writer and communicator.
- Must be a team player and self-starter with strong leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Must be detail-oriented with strong organizational and multitasking ability.
- Must be able to effectively communicate with, guide and manage international partners on editorial and participant matters.
- Must enjoy a creative, fast-paced, intellectually charged environment and remain flexible and unflappable under deadline pressure.
- Must have passion and discipline to follow developments in science by tracking mainstream media, scientific journals and original reporting, and must possess sophisticated editorial judgment and story instinct.
- Must have the ability and willingness to travel if necessary.
How to Apply:
Please email resume, cover letter, salary requirements, and source of posting to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Editorial Producer” in the subject line.
No phone calls please.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status or sexual orientation. The World Science Festival is an equal employment opportunity employer.