The Chief Development Officer will work closely with leadership across the organization to implement World Science Festival’s (WSF) strategic initiatives, creating and implementing plans to increase revenue and broaden sources of support, while building awareness and excitement about WSF’s mission. As a member of the Executive Management Team, the Chief Development Officer will oversee the development team in building and sustaining a comprehensive program that solicits contributions from a wide array of prospects and a new generation of supporters.
The World Science Festival (WSF) is an innovative multi-media organization that produces original live and digital content straddling the arenas of science, technology, the arts, media, performance, and education. With the goal of radically transforming public perceptions of science, WSF creates world-class programming, both live on stage and online, featuring inspired collaborations, outstanding participants, and novel production techniques that bring scientific discovery, insight, and perspective to a broad general audience. WSF’s programs are supported by philanthropic organizations and individuals passionate about science in today’s era.
WSF’s flagship live event in New York City is an unprecedented annual tribute to imagination, ingenuity, and inventiveness. The Festival has drawn over 3.2 million visitors worldwide, and more than 200 million views on online platforms. The World Science Festival’s original musical and theatrical works tour nationally and internationally, and in 2016 WSF launched its sister festival in Australia – the annual World Science Festival Brisbane.
World Science U (WSU) is the online education arm of WSF, where students and lifelong learners can dive more deeply into creatively produced digital education content presented by world-renowned scientists. WSU also oversees the World Science Scholars program that selects a small group of high school students from across the world who have demonstrated extraordinary mathematical talent, and provides them with an unparalleled opportunity to apply their abilities to unexplored disciplines. Guided by leaders in their field, Scholars examine ways that advanced mathematics skills can be applied to solve complex challenges in a wide range of scientific fields.
The Chief Development Officer will report to the Chief Executive Officer, and will serve on the organization’s Executive Management Team. The Chief Development Officer will oversee a team of three or four staff, in addition to collaborating closely with other departments.
The Chief Development Officer will
- partner with the Chief Executive Officer and senior leadership team to develop and execute the development strategy in order to significantly grow revenues with a focus towards underpinning new initiatives and building long-term sustainability;
- lead, oversee, and ensure the quality of development initiatives that identify new funders, cultivate existing funders, and grow revenue from individual, membership, foundation, governmental, and corporate sources;
- oversee the annual gala and other fundraising special events;
- develop innovative, creative development initiatives;
- develop and lead the implementation of individual and major donor giving strategies, from prospect research to cultivation and stewardship;
- maintain a portfolio of major donors and prospects, with responsibility for personally making face-to-face donor solicitations and creating a strategy to target individuals with capacity and interest from a variety of sectors;
- launch and grow the Chairman’s Council, an annual individual giving circle;
- set and manage the departmental budget, including special events, and develop targets and goals for all development staff members;
- provide guidance and mentorship to ensure that best practices are utilized to achieve the goals;
- work with the Chief Executive Officer to expand the Board of Directors, recommending dedicated individuals who bring a diverse set of skills and capacity to support the interests of WSF globally;
- orient and engage present and new Board members on the development strategy;
- produce compelling fundraising marketing pieces to communicate the work of the Festival to potential donors;
- ensure that accurate and complete development reporting systems are in place;
- develop effective systems to track, measure, and evaluate impact from WSF grant-supported programs; and
- oversee the effective growth and use of the Blackbaud donor database to support fundraising strategy and present clear, cogent reports and analyses to senior management.
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
World Science Festival seeks a Chief Development Officer with
- a commitment to the mission of World Science Festival—to cultivate a general public informed by science, inspired by its wonder, convinced of its value, and prepared to engage with its implications for the future;
- strong fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders;
- experience identifying, cultivating, and closing gifts with significant institutional impact;
- knowledge of the media landscape with specific understanding of video and digital storytelling;
- experience working with a Board of Directors;
- an ability to cultivate existing board relationships and introduce new board members;
- experience providing strategy and oversight for events;
- experience strategically calendaring and managing grant proposals;
- experience partnering with a CEO, senior leadership, and board members to plan and implement cultivation strategies for potential individual or corporate gifts;
- experience developing relationships with individuals of significant wealth that has translated in cultivating high impact gifts to organizations;
- leadership and management skills, with experience building and managing a high-performing team and fostering an open, collaborative, and respectful team culture;
- an ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, and creative environment;
- experience with media tie-ins and sponsorship deals (desired);
- strong written and verbal communication skills;
- an ability to communicate both persuasively and passionately utilizing excellent interpersonal skills;
- organizational management skills with the ability to coach staff, manage and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and administer a budget;
- an ability to articulate to business executives a compelling proposition for supporting WSF’s initiatives; and
- an ability to positively impact both strategic and tactical initiatives and manage multiple tasks and projects at a time.
A bachelor’s degree is required for this position as is at least eight years of senior management experience leading development or sales teams.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is $175,000-200,000 annually, depending upon experience. WSF offers a comprehensive package of benefits.
All applications must be accompanied by a cover letter and résumé. Cover letters should be responsive to the mission of World Science Foundation as well as the responsibilities and qualifications presented in the prospectus. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the successful candidate has been selected. To apply for this position, visit:
Chief Development Officer, World Science Foundation, or submit your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com. To nominate a candidate, please contact Patrick Key, firstname.lastname@example.org. All inquiries will be held in confidence.
WORLD SCIENCE FESTIVAL’S COMMITMENT TO INCLUSION, DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND ACCESS.
World Science Festival is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics. WSF will consider qualified applicants in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable “Fair Chance” laws.