World Science Foundation (WSF) New York, NY
Salary range: $110,000 – $150,000
About the Opportunity:
The Director of Education will provide leadership and strong operational management to ensure efficient and creative implementation of a diverse and international multimedia educational strategy at the high school and collegiate level, in both in-person and online contexts, from content planning to implementation.
Reporting to the President of World Science U (WSU) and Executive Director of Education, the Director of Education will manage the day-to-day operation of WSU programming, including the World Science Scholars (WSS) program and related initiatives, participate in outreach to the education community; oversee program evaluation; develop creative ways to enhance offerings. and guide and support the efforts of the Development team to cultivate program support.
The ideal candidate will have experience in higher education, and in leading and motivating a high performing team. In addition, they will be effective in liaising with students and other members of the public, as well as internally with the educational, media, and production teams.
Key responsibilities include:
- Lead educational project-based strategic planning activities, and identify resource needs and opportunities.
- Develop and implement novel online pilot programs and other initiatives aimed at engaging students in the content and process of science; develop plans and tools for disseminating and expanding successful pilot programs beyond proof-of-concept to broader audiences. A primary and immediate priority in this regard is the World Science Scholars (WSS) program and related initiatives in higher education.
- Lead the generation of WSS content that engages current scholars and alumni, and collaborate with the internal media team in developing new courses.
- Develop supplemental curricular materials for WSS that align with national and international standards, such as study guides, webinars, and other learning experiences;
- Develop and manage assessment tools and processes to measure the effectiveness and impact of WSS and related programs, and write related reports.
- Maintain and expand the current network of strategic local, state, national, and global partnerships in the public and private spheres to support WSU’s educational activities and to enhance the impact and reach of the educational programs.
- Assess and refine as appropriate, WSU college-level courses.
- Collaborate with the president of WSU and with the WSF development team by preparing and/or contributing to grant proposals; tracking goals and providing data for reports.
- Collaborate with other arms of WSF as they may relate to education.
The Successful Candidate:
The Director of Education will be joining a dynamic, growing organization. They must possess a proven ability to develop, manage and bring projects to completion as well as the ability to identify problems and independently design and implement solutions. The successful candidate will bring a high level of creativity, energy, flexibility, and the desire to work with a highly-committed, fast-paced, entrepreneurial team. They will be expected to have at least 7-8 years of experience in the higher education arena, with the proven ability to lead, plan, and manage change. Specifically, the following skills are required:
- Graduate degree in Education, Science or related field;
- Proven track record of developing and implementing new online educational programs and initiatives through strategic planning, identification and cultivation of strategic alliances and funding prospects, and hands-on detailed project management;
- Ability to work with diverse constituencies, partner organizations, and stakeholders, both locally, nationally and internationally;
- Experience working creatively with a motivated team
- Knowledge of the latest research and trends in formal and informal STEM/STEAM education, particularly online learning, and strong familiarity with PK-16 education market trends and emerging technologies;
- Knowledge of the higher education curricular and course credit equivalency;
- Experience designing and implementing both quantitative and qualitative assessment strategies, including using data analysis to evaluate and improve programs;
- Minimum of three years’ experience with STEM/STEAM curriculum development, implementation and assessment;
- Familiarity with the broader education and non-profit landscape, both in New York City and nationally;
- Have an understanding of compliance requirements for online education both nationally and internationally;
- Exceptional verbal, written, social and organizational skills.
About the Organization:
World Science Festival (WSF) is a multimedia organization producing original content straddling science, the arts, journalism and education. Founded in 2008, WSF is viewed by many as the premier platform bringing the most far-reaching and transformative ideas at the forefront of discovery to mainstream audiences. With formats spanning innovative works of theatre, film, dance and music, immersive live and virtual experiences, as well as riveting discussions and debates, WSF is lauded globally for its groundbreaking live and digital content featuring world renowned scientists, artists and intellectuals, shifting science to the cultural center. Based in New York City, WSF is distinctive in its commitment to the highest of editorial standards and production excellence, providing worldwide audiences an exciting and impactful view of the near and far future.
World Science U (WSU) is the online education arm of WSF, where students and lifelong learners can dive more deeply through creatively produced digital education content presented by world-renowned scientists. WSU also oversees the World Science Scholars program that selects a small group of high school students from across the world who have demonstrated extraordinary mathematical talent, and provides them with an unparalleled opportunity to apply their abilities to unexplored disciplines. Guided by world-renowned experts, Scholars examine ways that advanced mathematics skills can be applied to solve complex challenges in a wide range of scientific fields
How to Apply:
Please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Education” in the subject line.
The World Science Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, conviction history, predisposing genetic characteristics, status as a victim of domestic violence, marital status or other protected class in compliance with applicable law.